Below is the first completed model that was passed onto Scott for rigging.
He then sent me a version of the model above that he had roughly changed to show the adjustments he needed completed.
- Firstly the eyelids needed more geometry and to sit out more from the eye – to be more defined than before. He also suggested that the geometry be shaped to hint at where each eyelid began so that he would know where they would open and close from.
- The width of the eyes needed to be adjusted so that they weren’t just as wide.
- The cheekbones needed to be more defined to help with rigging the character for smiling.
- The lips needed to be more defined to distinguish between skin and lip.
Reference for the cheekbones: The character below was an example I used for some of the changes that were required. Even though the character below is young in age she still has a defined shape to her cheeks and jaw which was something that was missing from my character model, although the concept art was also missing these details. This was an example of how the design had to be adapted in order to work as a 3 dimensional object.
Adding cheekbones would allow for a more defined shape to the eyes and provide an area of the face that would move when she smiles. The concept below gave me a good example of how to add in cheekbones without defining her features too much as that wouldn’t suit her age. She currently has no chin meaning she looks particularly strange from an orthographic side view and that her face doesn’t shape nicely into the neck.
The lips were another area that needed a bit of tweaking, there was no definition between the skin of her face and the skin of the lip. Again the model below was a good reference for how I could tackle this problem, mainly by creating a sharper edge between the two surfaces.
I started by opening the original model in zbrush and pulling about the geometry of the eyelid to gain a sense of what I wanted it to look like, the same was done with the cheeks and then I smoothed out the bumps by switching between the smooth and hpolish brushes.
The mouth was a little tougher as I’ve mentioned before – I struggled a little with the shape of the lips, so brought the original lips in as a separate mesh to sculpt on whilst using the rough lips Scott had created as an example of reference.
Only half was sculpted to save on time, it can be mirrored across, again the definition was created by using the hpolish brush. The image below shows how I have attempted to create a sharper edge between the two surfaces of the lip, similar to the reference model posted earlier on this post.
The mouth then had to be added into the existing mesh and matched with the shape of the rest of the model. Below are some shots of a few attempts at getting the mouth to blend nicely with the face.
The screenshot below shows the high poly and the retopologised model.
The final model ready to be passed onto Scott again, the adjustments really did make a nice change to the overall model, she doesn’t look nearly as terrifying as what she did in the first sculpt.
I feel that my skills within Zbrush are steadily improving with this sculpt and I am happy with the progress I am currently making. Character sculpting is an area that I haven’t really had any experience with before so it’s nice to be able to get stuck into an area that would provide me with a lot of different and challenging work, especially with the high standard that we are aiming for within our short piece.