As I mentioned in my previous post [https://wordpress.com/post/houghridgeblog.wordpress.com/3708 ] there would more than likely be changes made to the character sculpt for rigging purposes. This post shows the stages that the model went through whilst Scott was rigging.
The original model that had been sent to Scott:
Scott was planning on adding the bag straps with dynamics when rigging but we hadn’t considered just how far up the poncho would be pulled under her arms, the whole poncho would end up moving up her body meaning the model would no longer be a 3D representation of Matt’s concept art. We plan on achieving a style and render that is as close as possible to the original concept art.
Some first hand reference along with images taken from Sketch fab to show how bag straps and a backpack interact with the clothing on a body:
I started by importing the most recent poncho mesh into maya along with the bag straps to figure out how I would go about fixing the poncho.
After chatting with Matt and Scott about how we would fix this problem we chose to change the design of the poncho and make it a sleeved poncho. I chose not to go back into Marvelous Designer and build a completely new mesh as in the image above [front view of poncho] you can see that there is already an area, caused by the wrinkling of the mesh during simulation, that could be adapted into a sleeve.
I took the poncho and bag straps into zbrush and started to roughly shape where the sleeves of the poncho would be according to the placement of the straps. This was the quickest way for me to map out how the poncho would look so that Scott could figure out whether or not would this design would work with his plans for rigging.
Scott said that he would be able to work with this shape and design so I brought the original mesh back into zbrush and planned out the shape in a more precise manner with a neater and tidier approach. I separated the sleeves from the body and hid their mesh and started to shape out the body of the poncho.
I used the original mesh from the poncho to create the shape for the sleeves
To save time I’ll model one sleeve in detail and duplicate it over to the other side after which I’ll go in and sculpt it around the strap of the bag.
Once there was a rough shape for the sleeve I started to connect the front and back of the poncho by extruding the edges, not worrying about the fact that it was flat and not shaped around her body just yet.
With the sleeves and the body finally connected again I would be able to start to shape the mesh around the straps using the move topology tool in zbrush.
After shaping one side of the poncho I deleted the unshaped half of the mesh duplicated it across and then started to sculpt it around the other bag strap, I decided against duplicating across the shaped poncho and the bag strap so that both halves of the model weren’t exactly symmetrical but ever so slightly different. Below is the completed model model with the new poncho along with a visible wire frame to show that the research I conducted on keeping good topology has in fact impacted my work and approach to modelling and keeping control over my wireframes.
At this point all Scott had left to rig was the poncho – I had built the model in separate parts, head – body – jumper – wellies – poncho so that he wasn’t sitting around waiting for me to finish the whole model before getting started, he was able to rig each part as it was completed.
Below are few more topology references, that I came across on google which I found useful when re-topologising her body and clothing to help make Scott’s job that little bit easier but also to benefit my own modelling skills – the earlier I drill into myself the importance of good topology the quicker I will get into the habit of it.
Blog link to another post that contain research into character topology and model references: